Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How I found out.

I decided to start this blog so that family (because there is a lot of y'all) and friends could keep up with what was going on in the lives of me and the twins.

On August 4th, 2010 I took a pregnancy test at 6 am. I waited. I looked. TWO pink lines??? There is only supposed to be one.
"FRANCIS!!! (girl I work with) How many lines do you see?"
"Two"
"But there is only supposed to be one..."

Flash forward to later that afternoon waiting in the doctors office I then get medical conformation from my doctor that yes I am in fact pregnant. He goes over my options with me but I already know that I am going to keep the baby and here is why:
Abortion- while I am pro-choice and I believe every woman has a right to decide what is best for her body that is not a personal choice that I could make for myself
Adoption- I know I am not strong enough as a person to carry and grow something inside of me for 9 months only to give it away upon entering this world.

So it's decided I will keep the baby.

My first prenatal appointment was August 27th, 2010. Ruben and I walk in to the waiting room, fill out all the paperwork and wait. The Ultrasound tech calls me back and Ruben waits in the waiting room. She starts the ultrasound but I don't see anything, and then I do. I think to myself "That's weird it looks like the cell hasn't split yet. Hmm" The tech starts to type "Baby A" and I start to wonder "why does she need to put the A? There is only one ba..." and before I finish my thought she starts to type "Baby B". Out loud I say in a very bewildered voice "Does that mean there are two of them?"
"Yes! Congratulations, you are having twins!"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes."
"Are you sure you're not joking"
"Yes I am sure. Do you have twins in your family?"
"Just one set but the Mom isn't blood related."
"I kinda want to watch you tell the Father"
"Well he is in the waiting room."

I walk out pictures in hand and I walk over to Ruben. With out saying a word I hand him the pictures, He starts to mumble something about Baby A and then Something about Baby B and all I say out loud is "Twins" "Are you serious"
"yup"
"Twins."
"I know"
I then call mom who is just as bewildered as we were. She asked me if it was a joke, and told me that it was not April. She was convinced I was pulling her leg. I then spent the next 5 minutes trying to convince her that no it wasn't a joke. She abruptly ended the conversations saying "I will have to call you back." I hung up the phone and looked around the waiting room. I was surprised to see nobody had grabbed popcorn as the entire waiting room was watching us like some kind of sitcom. Ruben and I looked at each other and just started to laugh. What had we gotten ourselves into?

No comments:

Post a Comment